Ft. Dearborn

Built in 1803 beside the Chicago River, Ft. Dearborn was constructed by troops under Captain John Whistler and named in honor of Henry Dearborn, then United States Secretary of War. The original fort was destroyed following the Battle of Ft. Dearborn in 1812, and a new fort was constructed on the same site in 1816. The fort was de-commissioned by 1837, the last vestiges being destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The site of the fort at Wacker and Michigan Ave. is now a Chicago Landmark.