U.S. Life-Saving Stations
In addition to lighthouses, the government operated life-saving stations along the shores of Lake Michigan. The United States Life-Saving Service dated from 1871, and once operated stations at Evanston, Chicago, Jackson Park and South Chicago.
The Life-Saving Service compiled an impressive record during its brief history. The Evanston station, for example, rescued all of the people in distress within its district during its 38 years of operation. The Chicago Harbor station serviced 359 ships during its tenure. In 1915, the Life-Saving Service was brought under the control of the U.S. Coast Guard.